The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to make key changes to your eating habits; changes that are sustainable and therefore keep the weight off for good.
Beauty from the inside out
Furthermore, everything that you feed your body has an effect on the outside as well as the inside. If you fill your body with takeaways, sweets and pastries you’ll feel sluggish, tired and rundown and this will be reflected on the outside, making your skin and hair dull and dehydrated and your nails brittle and weak - not to mention the spare tyre around the waist line.
If you lay off the naughty stuff and instead feed your body fresh produce and nutrient-rich foods such as fruit, vegetables and nuts, not only will you feel more energetic, motivated and positive but your body will be leaner and more toned, your skin bright, hydrated and smooth, your hair shiny and your nails strong and long.
Make the change
For most of us, it’s not realistic (or fun) to live a life completely devoid of naughty foods, but the more long-term healthy changes you make, the more your body will thank you for it and the better you will look - think of it as your body’s way of saying thank you! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Wherever possible, swap processed food for fresh meat, fish and vegetables and limit your intake of carbs like pasta and bread. Not only do excess carbs make you feel bloated but if there are too many carbs in your system your body will burn the carbs instead of fat, therefore storing excess fat in your body.
- Water, water and more water. This free and limitless resource is hugely beneficial for both your health and your appearance. Not only does it flush out toxins, maintain essential body functions and keep you feeling alert, it also keeps your skin hydrated from within for a smooth, glowing complexion, your eyes bright and your nails strong. Aim to drink 1.5 to 2 litres every day.
- Increase your intake of essential fatty acids found in nuts, seeds and oily fish such as tuna and mackerel, which are crucial for cell performance but are not produced naturally in the body. For optimum benefits, add Udo’s Choice Ultimate Oil Blend to your daily diet; containing a careful balance of omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids, the results in your skin, hair and nails will be visible within 6 weeks.
- Cut down on the booze – don’t worry I said cut down, not cut out completely! Everyone enjoys a glass of wine but if you find yourself having a glass or 2 most nights, it becomes more habit than enjoyment. Every glass of alcohol is filled with empty calories – not to mention the extra calories from the snacks you may consume while your resolve is weakened from alcohol. Give your body a few days off alcohol each week to trim your waistline, increase your energy and improve your skin (alcohol has a dehydrating effect on the skin).
- Don’t punish yourself for having treats - just ensure it’s an occasional treat and not a regular treat. Occasional treats are actually good for you because you don’t feel a slave to your diet and end up slipping back into your old bad habits.
- Don’t skip meals – it will only make you feel hungry and have you reaching for a snack or increasing the amount you eat for your next meal. Your body needs fuel to perform at its best so don’t deprive it of breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Don’t ever feel like you’re not allowed to eat – if your body tells you it’s hungry, feed it – but opt for fruit, nuts or carrot and celery sticks instead of biscuits, chocolate or crisps.
- Don’t under-estimate the benefit of a healthy diet on long-term health benefits that you can’t see, warding off serious diseases, keeping blood pressure and cholesterol at optimum levels, maintaining joint health and so forth. You may not care now but everyone gets old at some point – make sure you’ll be at your best!