Daily Self-Facial Massage
Follow this sequence of massages/gestures after cleansing your face - usually in the morning or at night. Make sure you touch your face/eyes/ears with clean hands. In ancient Chinese medicine all the pressure points on the face are not only related to internal organs but are also related to beauty. They make the face radiate, take away dullness and enhance your physical presence. Before you begin your daily self–facial you need to generate heat in the face, stimulating circulation, therefore preparing the pressure points for massage. This is done by rubbing the ears with the palm of both hands until heat is generated in the ears. All the exercises are easier to do sitting down.
2) Take the heels of both your hands from the edge of your nostrils and press along in one continuous line underneath the cheekbones up to the edge of your ears. Again, 36 times and always, in one direction. Never press downwards. You want to lift the face muscles up – not down!!
3) Take the middle fingers of both hands and press the area between your eyes and your nose, at the very top of your nose. Stroke gently, but firmly, downwards following the nose line to the side of your nostrils. It is like drawing two lines in a downward direction. Do this 36 times. This also clears the sinuses and will help to improve your breathing.
4) Make two small claws with your four fingers of each hand. Put them together on the middle of your forehead and press quite firmly (without pulling the skin) in an outward direction, smoothly, until the temples. 36 times and again, only in one direction.
5) Tap around the eye sockets with your fingertips with the natural weight of the fingers. Do not tap too hard!! Six times above the eye socket and six times below. This stimulates the bones of the eye socket. Do not tap the eyelids - they are too delicate and can damage the eyes. This exercise brightens the eyes and reduces any puffiness or swelling above or below the eyes. Once a day is enough. To finish off this exercise continue tapping all over the face, but you only need to do this a few times.
6) Finally, after finishing all the above five exercises, take the fingertips of both hands, and tap everywhere on the scalp and cranium quiet strongly (using the natural weight of your fingers) to wake up the energy, the blood circulation, and to strengthen the bones. Please note it is not good to touch your face after this exercise as you can transfer dust and dirt from your hair.
When you have finished this sequence I suggest you drink a glass of warm water to help the chi flow. Once a week I recommend that you exfoliate and put a mask on your face.
Su-Man's is a highly sought after facialist. Her signature treatments are a firm favourite with celebrities including Anne Hathaway, Estelle, Juliette Binoche and Joely Richardson among many others. You too can escape from the stress of everyday life by visiting her treatment room: www.su-man.com